Attractive, low-maintenance, and easy to clean, polished concrete floors can add a sense of richness and depth to any space. At Summit Concrete, we have years of experience placing and finishing concrete in preparation for the polishing process. Below, learn more about the procedure and advantages of these design-friendly floors, or contact us today to hire our expert team for your next project.
Polishing concrete floors requires the general contractor, concrete supplier, finisher, and polisher to work closely together as a team. Our goal is to set up our partners for success so they can achieve the highest-quality flooring possible.
Specially designed concrete mixes and procedures are used to ensure the client’s desired polish may be achieved. After we have poured and finished a floor suitable for polishing, we hand the reins over to a professional polishing company. They grind the surface using progressively finer grits while applying a hardening agent that penetrates the concrete. It takes at least four passes to create the polished look of a minimum 400 grit, though it’s possible to achieve finer grits of 800, 1500, and 3000. Dyes may be applied to stain the concrete to a specific color or shade, and they can be scored to add a sense of texture and design.
This special type of flooring offers a number of benefits over others:
- Reduced dust and cleaner air. Unpolished concrete naturally pushes its own dust to the surface through efflorescence. Polishing adds a hardened barrier to prevent this, making the floors easy to clean while keeping the air more hypo-allergenic.
- Stain resistance. Polished concrete is non-porous and naturally repels oil, water, and other stain-inducing substances. This makes them a great option for situations that are prone to spillage.
- Slip resistance. Despite its shiny veneer, polished concrete is typically less slippery than its unpolished counterpart.
- Great for ambient lighting. The reflective nature of polished concrete makes it easier to illuminate the room with fewer or less intense lights, which can save on energy bills.
- Easy to clean and maintain. Polished concrete naturally retains its sheen with no need for waxing or stripping.
- LEED-friendly. Polishing concrete uses no harmful VOCs, and because the act of polishing existing concrete eliminates the need for additional building materials, it’s considered a sustainable practice for LEED certification.
As concrete place and finish professionals, Summit Concrete is known for providing the highest level of craftsmanship in every concrete floor we pour. To learn more about partnering with us for a polished concrete flooring project, contact us today.